For the polenta:
1 roll (18 ounces) prepared polenta, cut into ¼” slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the slaw:
1 small head green cabbage (about 1 pound), very finely shredded
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the steak:
1 pound skirt steak
2 tablespoons preferred vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup Red Duck Smoked Applewood Molasses BBQ Sauce (buy), plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place polenta rounds on baking sheet and brush lightly with oil. Bake until crisp around the edges and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl toss together cabbage, carrots, and parsley.
- In a blender combine avocado, lime juice, salt, and ⅓-½ cup water. Blend until completely smooth, adding more water if needed to help blend. Toss with cabbage mixture to taste. Taste and add salt and/or more lime juice to taste, if needed.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high. Rub steak with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until cooked to desired degree of doneness, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and immediately brush with barbecue sauce. Let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain.
- To assemble, place a spoonful of slaw on each polenta round, then top with 1-2 slices steak and drizzle with a little more barbecue sauce if desired.